Watkins Glen school board 3/7/11
Meeting: The Watkins Glen school board met Monday, March 7, for 45 minutes.
Attendance: All board members were present. There were about 70 members of the public in the audience.
Action: The meeting began with a moment of silence in memory of Jean Lawton who was a physical education teacher in Watkins Glen from 1950 to 1987. Board President Brian O’Donnell announced there are plans to hold a Jean Lawton Memorial Walk in May or June. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
• Superintendent Tom Phillips offered to forgo a pay increase for the 2011-12 school year. The board approved this, giving his contract a one-year extension until 2016.
• Approved the 21st Century After-School program’s overnight trip to New York City, May 21 to 22. Students from Watkins, Odessa-Montour, Spencer-VanEtten, and Bradford will make the trip.
• A special board of education meeting will be held April 20, at 7 a.m. for the sole purpose of voting on the BOCES Administrative Budget and Election of BOCES BOE Members.
Discussion without action: The board recognized winter teams and athletes for accomplishments this past season:
• The boys varsity swim team coached by Jason Bond were IAC and Section IV Class C Swimming & Diving Champions.
• The girls varsity bowling team coached by Ward Brower were Section IV Class C Sectional Champions.
• Adam Hughey coached by Nils Watson was IAC Wrestling Champion at 160 pounds and Section IV Class C Wrestling Champion at 171 pounds.
• The board acknowledged a reduction in the Workers Compensation Experience by 18 percent from the previous year. This reduction will result in a reduced premium for 2011-12 of $4,300.
Appointments/resignations: The board accepted the resignation of Justin Mucitelli as modified baseball coach.
• The board then approved Mucitelli as JV baseball coach, Ralph Diliberto as modified softball coach, and Louis Condon Jr. as modified baseball coach.
• O’Donnell reported Dr. Jamie Coleman will be leaving the district in May for his fourth deployment to Iraq.
• Approved the appointment of Mathew Mangus as chaperone.
Upcoming meeting: The next school board meeting is a workshop Monday, March 21, at 6:30 p.m. There will also be a regular school board meeting, Monday, April 11, at 5:45 p.m.